Year in Review: the tragic Oxford High School shooting
According to CNN, the attack at Oxford High School on November 30th, 2021 in the state of Michigan was the deadliest school shooting in the U.S. since May of 2018.
The shooting in 2018 was in Texas and eight students and two teachers lost their lives. The media outlet also reported that there were a shocking 48 K-12 school shootings by November of 2021.
In total, four students lost their lives due to this senseless act of violence: Madisyn Baldwin, 17; Tate Myre, 16; Hana St. Juliana, 14; and Justin Shilling, 17.
In addition, six students and one teacher were shot by the shooter, according to authorities.
A 15-year-old boy suspected of causing this tragedy was taken into custody and did not resist arrest. The Oakland Country Prosecutor Karen D. McDonald told the media that the Oxford High School student would be charged as an adult with terrorism causing death and four counts of first-degree murder.
Photo: Oakland County Sheriff's Office
In addition, the troubled teen was charged with seven counts of assault with intent to murder and 12 counts of possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony.
In addition the young man's parents, Jennifer and James Crumbley, were charged on December 3 with involuntary manslaughter due to not locking up the firearm their son used. The couple failed to appear in court and were arrested in Detroit on December 4 by the US Marshals following a manhunt.
Charges were made against both parents as they failed to store the weapon properly in their home and ensure that the ammunition was kept securely and separately from the firearm, among other issues. Ms. McDonald (pictured) said, "We have to hold individuals accountable who don't do that."
Photo: Screenshot, YouTube
In order to be charged with first-degree murder, the act must be premeditated. Oakland County Prosecutor McDonald told reporters that there is strong evidence that the young man had planned the attack "well before the incident" and that it was "absolutely premeditated."
According to Sheriff Bouchard, the young man had never had problems with the police before; however, his parents had been called in for a meeting just hours before the shooting occurred. School officials also met with the student in question the day before the incident to discuss "some concerning behavior" per Bouchard.
According to CNN, the country prosecutor Ms. McDonald was not permitted to discuss the meetings. However, she did tell the news outlet, "There's an additional piece of evidence that hasn't been released yet, but I can assure you it was troubling, it was disturbing, and unfortunately he was allowed to go back to class."
The world was shocked by the shooting at Oxford High School on November 30th.
The events took place during school hours, around 1:00 p.m., when the Oakland Police were notified that a student was shooting at others inside Oxford High School.
The Undersheriff, Michael G. McCabe of Oakland County, informed that the suspect, a sophomore at the high school, was arrested without incident within minutes of the authorities responding to the shooting.
McCabe also said that the boy's parents hired a lawyer and would not allow him to speak to the police.
The agent confirmed that the massacre perpetrator fired almost 20 shots with a semiautomatic pistol that was confiscated from him as soon as they arrived at the scene.
Undersheriff McCabe also reported that the student did not resist and surrendered when the police arrived. Unfortunately, before he was apprehended, his shots had already seriously injured several and taken the lives of others.
The Detroit Free Press collected the testimonies of the students who experienced the tragedy. The students said that they locked themselves in class and, as soon as the authorities arrived, they were evacuated to a nearby shopping center.
Abbey Hodder, 15, told the media outlet "My teacher kind of ran out and was scrambling," she said. "The next thing I knew I saw he was pushing tables. It's part of school protocol to barricade, so we all knew, barricade, barricade down. And we all started pushing tables."
Sheriff Michael Bouchard gave the press more details on how the shooting unfolded. According to the sheriff, the semiautomatic handgun, a 9MM Sig Sauger SP2022, used by the suspect was bought by the 15-year-old's father a few days before the shooting.
The images caught on video camera in the high school showed that the troubled suspect, according to Bouchard, "came out of the bathroom with the weapon," however, it was not clear where he went. Police questioned students for more information.
The local television station WDIV reported that, despite having surrendered, the massacre perpetrator was unwilling to collaborate with the police or give any reason for his actions.
CNN shared a statement from Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (pictured), who said that she thinks that school shootings are a "uniquely American problem that we need to address."
Whitmer also said, "I think this is every parent's worst nightmare. My heart goes out to the families. This is an unimaginable tragedy. I hope we can all rise to the occasion and wrap our arms around the families, the affected children and school personnel and this community."
The President of the United States, Joe Biden, wanted to send a message of support and solidarity to the families of the students and the students themselves, who are pained by what happened and still in shock.
The President said, "My heart goes out to the families enduring the unimaginable grief of losing a loved one. You've gotta know that that whole community has to be in a state of shock right now."